Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (GSENM) in Utah
Time & Location
About The Event
August 13 Washington to Craters of the Moon, ID to disperse camp together at Echo Crater that evening
August 14 Drive down to Kodachrome Basin State Park - meet at 6PM or later- disperse camp or stay in camp ground (first come first served)
August 15-20 explore the Escalante/Grand Staircase/Bryce Canyon loops (see GPX below)
August 21,22 return home to WA
GPX tracks for the trip - see attachments below, import them into Gaia (or whatever you use for navigations) and take a look
Seattle to Craters of the Moon (COM), Idaho 671 miles 9 hrs and 41 mins
COM to SLC Airport 266 miles, 4 hours
Seattle to Salt Lake City 11h45m 844 mile
SLC to Escalante UT 4.5 hours 278 miles
SLC to Kodachrome Basin CG 4.5 hours, 290 miles
1. It is going to be hot - historical temps for mid August at in the low 100s on the valley floor. Our trip is largely above the 4000ft line, so should be cooler in the low 90s. - bring an awning and lot of water
2. Back-country camping permits are 'required' but are free, and are merely a form that needs to be filled out. We can sort this out when we are down there. We will try to camp 'dispersed' in interesting locations each night.
3. 'Tread Lightly' outdoor principles apply in the GSENM area - read up on what this entails and decide for yourself how you want to dispose of human waste during this trip.
4. A high-clearance 4WD vehicle with recovery points, good quality tires with a full-sized spare, recovery gear and 5 gallons of extra fuel is required. Capacity to carry 10 gallons of water is mandatory for this trip.
5. Comms will be 146.460. If you are unlicensed, you can still monitor the station.
6. Dogs are allowed in most of GSENM and the surrounding areas, but if we decide to visit Bryce Canyon National Park, dogs are not allowed there.
Let me know if you have any questions !
Scott Sattler - Trip Leader
- Sold OutMember Ticket$0$00$0